Best Bodybuilding Foods For Muscle Growth
List of Bodybuilding Foods
Below are some of the best bodybuilding foods for muscle growth that contain the best quality of protein you can eat.
1. Eggs – Eggs are the favorite bodybuilding foods and the best source of protein a bodybuilder can get! A single egg contains all the 8 essential amino acids, around 80 calories and almost 7 grams of protein. The protein in eggs is almost identical to the protein in our muscles. This means our bodies can absorb 100% of the protein in eggs.
Its fat content is mostly monounsaturated. Monounsaturated fats are the healthiest type of fat. They’re typically high in vitamin E and more easily used for energy instead of stored as body fat. Eggs are a good source of almost all the vitamins and minerals you need.
2. Milk – Milk is second most important bodybuilding foods for those who want to build muscles. It is a great source of protein, vitamins, minerals and essential fats. One liter of milk contains 32 grams of protein. Milk protein contains whey and casein.
Whey protein is quickly digested while casein is absorbed more slowly and evenly. This combination supplies the muscles with protein over several hours. Whey protein, when isolated as a powder is one of the best bodybuilding foods. Raw, whole milk is rich in vitamins A and D, calcium, iron and zinc.
Calcium present in milk gives you strong bones and plays a major role in muscle contraction and relaxation. The vitamin D in milk helps you absorb the calcium. Iron is needed for energy and zinc strengthens the immune system. Avoid UHT and pasteurized. Try to drink raw milk and avoid UHT and pasteurized. Raw milk is taken straight from the cow, cooled and bottled. It’s far more nutritious and healthier for you.
Milk is full of essential fats for good health. The carbohydrate it contains is called lactose. It’s digested slowly and so gives a sustained and lasting energy.
3. Red meat – Red meat comes third in the list of bodybuilding foods. It offers a great combination of protein, amino acids, vitamin B6, iron and zinc. Four ounces of red meat yields around 22 grams of first class protein! Red meat is rich in the amino acid ‘alanine’ which has a muscle preserving effect.
Red meat provides seven times more iron than spinach and four times more than chicken or fish. Iron is a superb blood builder. Zinc contributes to muscle growth. If you are using any anabolic supplements or legal steroids, protein is super important.
Red meat is very helpful in increasing strength and lean muscle growth. This is because it contains creatine and carnitine. Creatine is a muscle’s fuel source for the first few seconds of training. Carnitine plays a major role in burning fat.
The minerals potassium and magnesium present in red meat enhance the production of growth hormone and insulin. These hormones are potent muscle builders.
4. Poultry – The protein in poultry has a high biological value. It has all the 8 essential amino acids in the correct amounts for muscle growth. Remember that a high biological value means that your body will use the protein to build muscle.
Poultry is great if you’re looking for high protein, low fat bodybuilding foods. Choose the breast. This has half the fat of a prime cut steak. A grilled portion of 150 grams/6 oz contains a whopping 40 grams of protein and about 2 grams of fat.
If you’re looking for lean gains, prepare your bird without the skin. The skin is mostly saturated fat. Poultry is rich in vitamin B3 and B6 needed for converting food into energy. It is also high in the cell protecting Selenium. This strong antioxidant plays a role in cancer prevention. Poultry is also rich in iron, zinc, phosphorous and magnesium.
5. Fish – Fish is also one of the most important bodybuilding foods. Most fish with the exception of salmon and mackerel are very low in fat. Fish is a rich source of healthy protein. A 3 oz fillet contains around 20 grams.
Mackerel and salmon are rich in Omega 3 fats. These essential fatty acids help to control every function in your body. Fish oils help you build muscle while burning fat! Omega 3 fat promotes the burning of food to give you energy. They can speed recovery from your workouts. Fish oils help to balance blood pressure and improve circulation. They also increase your metabolic rate so you burn more calories at rest.